Friday, June 15, 2007

Dry is Relative

Apparently Tennessee is in the midst of a severe drought, the worst in 117 years (recorded history). Our grass is crispy, and our garden has been quite thirsty. Worse yet, the bunnies are running low on wild fresh, green, leafy things and have turned to the domesticated variety.

However, after visiting Southern California for a week, Tennessee doesn't look quite so dry. :) On the other hand, the California vegetation reminded me strongly of my childhood.

Exhibit A: Jacarandas

I haven't seen these blooming in years!

My tropical blood is also strongly attracted to palm trees...


...and beaches.

Venice Beach in LA was like a foreign country!

Then there was the fruit. Flavorful and abundant! Almost every yard had citrus, pomegranate, avocado, and other trees heavy with fruit.

While exploring the farmers' market, I had to buy some real California apricots. After all, I've heard all my life that they're the only ones worth anything. And Yum! :)

No comments: